Anyone Can Hold a Book Drive
Anyone can hold a book drive for the Columbus Kids’ Book Bank – individuals, teams, schools, neighborhoods, clubs, businesses. If you are interested, we've prepared this toolkit to help you get started!
- Decide WHEN AND WHERE – Choose a location for your book collection that is accessible, where people can move books in and out easily.
- Gather RESOURCES - Collect boxes or bins to hold donated books and recruit volunteers to help spread the word about your book drive and to help with book collection.
- SPREAD THE WORD – Inform people in your community about your book drive. Be sure to specify that you are collecting new and gently used books for Kindergarten through 6th grade readers.
- Make it FUN– Coordinate your book drive with a fun event, like a birthday party or any type of gathering. Make your book drive a competition between companies, departments, teams, etc.
- Set your GOALS – In addition to collecting books, set a fundraising goal to support the Columbus Kids’ Book Bank.
Book Drive FAQs
We welcome new and gently used books for K-6th grade readers. Books showing diversity are greatly appreciated.
- coloring books
- books that are outdated, torn, yellowed, moldy, or otherwise in poor condition
- books with the last copyright earlier than 2000
- books that you wouldn’t want to receive yourself
Yes! We accept books that are gently used.
We suggest running your book drive for no less than a week to give your audience a chance to see your publicity and round up their books to donate.
We recommend promoting your book drive starting at least two weeks in advance via whatever media works best for you: posters, eblasts, newsletters, social media, company intranet, school announcements, flyers etc. Continue to remind your potential givers about the book drive in the days leading up to it and throughout its duration. If you are a business and your collection bins will be in public spaces, consider a press release to spread the word.
We are thankful for all donations. People who wish to donate money can do so online at https://www.secondandseven.com/ways-to-give/donate/ or by mail to: 7949 North High Street, Suite B Columbus, OH 43235.
We recommend small to medium size cardboard boxes but whatever you have available can carry. You can use the printable flyers/signs in this tool kit to decorate the bins or make your own.
Once your book drive is completed, books can be dropped off at the 2nd & 7 Columbus Kids’ Book Bank located at 7949 N. High Street, Columbus, 43235. We are located in Worthington, next to Zip Zone and Camp Mary Orton. Our book drop slot, located at the northwest corner of our building, is available 24/7. If you have over 100 books to donate, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a drop off time.